Mahatma Gandhi Death Anniversary: On January 30, 1948, the father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi, was shot and killed. Know some important things related to his life on his death anniversary.
1. Mahatma Gandhi was born on 2 October 1869 in the city of Porbandar, Gujarat.
2. His parents named him Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. 5 years after his birth, his family moved from Porbandar to Rajkot.
3. Mahatma Gandhi was average in studies. He was one of the most shy and low-speaking children. He was also interested in sports and very fond of reading books.
4. Mahatma Gandhi was just 13 years old when he got married to Kasturba Makhanji Kapadia.
5. When Mahatma Gandhi was 16 years old and his wife was 17 years old, their first child was born at that time, but shortly after birth the child died due to some reason. Gandhiji was greatly saddened by this accident.
Martyrs Day 2021: People remembered the father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi and the immortal martyrs
6. They were followed by 4 more sons. His eldest son was named Harilal who was born in 1888. His second son was named Manilal who was born in 1892, third son Ramdas was born in 1897 and youngest son Devdas was born in 1900.
7. On November 1887, at the age of 18, Mahatma Gandhi completed his graduation from Allahabad. In January 1888, he joined Samaldas College, Bhavnagar.
8. He enrolled in college for higher education, but due to coming from a poor family and not being able to afford fees, he had to leave his college studies incomplete.
9. When Gandhi left college, his family friend Mavji Dave Joshiji advised him and his family that he should go to London to pursue law (advocacy), but this year his son Hiralal was born so his mother did not want to That they leave their family and go to another country.
10. At the same time, Gandhi wanted him to complete his studies, so to persuade his wife and mother, he said that he would stay away from meat, alcohol and women abroad. Gandhi’s brother Laxmidas, who was himself a lawyer by profession, supported Gandhi after which his mother Putlibai agreed to send him.
11. On June 7, 1893, Mahatma Gandhi used civil disobedience for the first time. In 1893, Gandhiji went to South Africa to advocate on a one-year contract. He lived in the Natal province of South Africa in those days.
12. Gandhi helped to establish a total of three football clubs in Durban, Pretoria and Johannesburg, South Africa.
13. Mahatma Gandhi walked India on the path of non-violence, gave India freedom from the British, and conveyed that non-violence is paramount. Mahatma Gandhi was addressed by Subhash Chandra Bose on 6 July 1944 as ‘Father of the Nation’ from Radio Rangoon.
14. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was shot dead in the evening of 30 January 1948 at Birla Bhawan in New Delhi. They used to pray every evening. On the evening of 30 January 1948, as he was going for evening prayers, Nathuram Godse first touched his feet and then fired three bullets at him from the front with a Beretta pistol.
15. Mahatma Gandhi’s funeral procession was 8 kilometers long. It is said that about one million people were walking in their dead bodies and about 1.5 million people were standing in the way.
The day also known as Martyrs Day or Shahid Diwas(Shaheed Diwas)