Today, the whole world is plagued by the dreaded problem of global warming due to all kinds of amenities and human activities done to raise resources. Therefore, with the resolve of creating awareness among the people about environmental protection and saving the earth, Earth Day is celebrated all over the world on 22 April every year.
History of world earth day
This day was celebrated twice before
Earlier, Earth Day was celebrated twice every year on 21 March and 22 April, but from the year 1970, this day was decided to be celebrated only on 22 April. On March 21, Earth Day has been celebrated only as a symbol of the spring of the northern hemisphere and the autumn of the southern hemisphere. Although Earth Day celebrated on 21 March has the support of the United Nations, it has only scientific and environmental importance whereas Earth Day celebrated on 22 April has social and political significance all over the world.
The theme of world earth day
This time in the Corona era, the theme of Earth Day is ‘Restore our Earth’. For which attention will have to be paid to those natural resources and emerging technologies that will prove to be helpful in restoring the ecology of the world.
The real benefit of celebrating Earth Day is only when we do not confine the event to the rituals only, but also make every effort to fulfill the resolutions taken on this occasion for the protection of the Earth.
How you can protect the Earth?
To protect the earth, energy conservation, electricity-water, and climate protection, it is generally thought that what we can contribute to this is the work of the government, but if we are aware, then giving a minute’s time is short- You can also protect the earth through small habits.
1 . Instead of taking a bath for a long time, instead of taking a bath, work with a small shower. This will save electricity as well as reduce electricity bills.
2 . During air conditioning or heating in the house, try not to scrape the air from the doors and fringes where you want to cool. By doing this, electricity is saved.
3 . Keep the fridge door closed. Opening only once removes more than a quarter of the cold air inside. Also, if you are going out of town, then it is better to close it.
4 . If you are cooking on the hob, try to make the saucepan as big as the heating element. This will heat the pan quickly and reduce energy consumption.
5 . Do not keep the tap open while brushing or shaving your teeth. One liter of water can be wasted due to running water from the tap for one minute.
6 . Repair the tubes from which water keeps seeping. On average 5500 liters of water can be wasted from a running tap.
7 . Garden hoses and sprinklers can waste up to a thousand liters per hour, which is more than the water daily use of any transportation family.
8 . If you are washing something very stained, then only operate the dishwasher or washing machine at full efficiency. Handwashing may be a better option.
9 . If possible, use a cold cycle in your washing machine. Each time saving the hotwash saves energy time and money.
10 . Install energy-efficient light bulbs in the house. With this energy will be saved, your electricity bill will also be reduced by 90 percent.
11 . Use a low-energy inkjet printer. It consumes less energy than a laser printer.
12 . Do you still use a full-sized computer? By using a laptop or ultrabook instead, you can reduce the energy consumption by half.
13 . It would be better to keep the fridge full instead of empty. This will make it less energy efficient in cooling. But also avoid stocking unnecessary things in the fridge.
14 . Turn on the dishwasher only when it is full. Half-load also consumes as much energy as half, so it is better to clean all utensils in one go.
15 . The same principle applies to the washing machine. However, if it has an economic function then it is better because it can work even under low load. Wash clothes only when the drum becomes full.
16 . Do not leave electrical appliances on standby mode. By doing this you can cut both energy consumption and electricity bills.
17 . Invest in standby saver. It helps to turn off all your devices from standby mode at once.
18 . When you are going out of the room in the house, turn off the lights, fans, and other essential applications. By doing this you can save both energy and money.
19 . Do not always keep the exhaust fan installed in the kitchen and bathroom on purpose, but use it according to the need.
20 . If you are not going to use your computer, laptop, mobile, or other gadgets then it would be better to turn it off instead of putting it in screensaver mode. At the same time, after using and removing the chargers in the wall socket, turn the switch off. This will help you in saving energy.
Know what are the major concerns
- Climate change on earth is a warning bell for three billion people in the world. For the last six thousand years, these variables and constants have been booming, but now this land is in trouble. The special thing is that the value is directly responsible for this. Scientists say that if this continues, this earth will not be able to live till 2070. The temperature here will not be tolerable.
- According to a United Nations report, even though the Paris Climate Agreement is trying to be implemented, the world is moving towards a three-degree Celsius temperature rise. If the world average temperature rose by three degrees due to global warming, a large population would have to live in such heat that they would be outside the comfortable climate conditions. It will have the most impact in Australia, India, Africa, South America, and parts of the Middle East. This report says that one billion people will be affected by the increase of one degree.
Fatal consequences will occur in India
- India is a very sensitive country in terms of climate change. In a study conducted in the year 2017, India was the sixth most threatened country in the world in terms of climate change. In 2018, HSBC assessed the threat of climate change on 67 economies of the world, stating that India is the most vulnerable to climate change. The World Bank has also said that India may suffer several trillion dollars due to global warming.
- India is already facing drought, floods, and cyclonic storms in the country. By the end of this century, global warming can pose a big crisis. The first report of the Indian government so far on climate change says that by the end of the century (by 2100) India’s average temperature will rise by 4.4 degrees. The direct effect of this will be seen as the rise in seawater levels with increasing heatwaves and cyclonic storms.
- According to this report titled Assessment of Climate Change over the Indian Region, if big steps are not taken to curb climate change, then the heat waves will see an increase of 3 to 4 times, and the sea level can rise up to 30 centimeters. The report says that between 1951 and 2015, there has been a 6 percent decrease in monsoon from June to September. Its impact has been seen on the Gangetic plains and the Western Ghats. The report says that there has been an increase of 27 percent in the incidence of drought between 1981-2011 as compared to 1951-1980.
- The report said that due to the decreasing monsoon, the incidence of drought is increasing and the area affected by it is continuously increasing. Between 1951 and 2016, there is an average of 2 incidents of drought in different parts of the country every decade. Its acreage is growing at a rate of 1.3 percent. Given the changing mood of the monsoon, the situation will worsen by the end of the 21st century.
How to save the earth
In order to improve the situation, those anthropogenic activities have to be controlled, due to which global warming is increasing. The report also warns about this. The report states that human-caused climate change is expected to continue to grow in the 21st century. There is a need to develop a strategic framework for accurate climate projection in the future, especially for regional forecasting so that the activities of the Earth System can be better understood and the monitoring and climate model improved.
What is climate change?
Actually, our climate has been changing for the last few centuries. Meaning that the average temperature that has remained in different countries of the world for hundreds of years is now changing. The average temperature of the Earth is still around 15 degrees Celsius. However, geological evidence suggests that it has been very high or low in the past. Now in the last few years, there is a sudden rapid change in the climate. Weather on the earth has its own specialty, but now its manner is changing. Summer is getting very long. Winters are getting shorter. It is happening all over the world. This is climate change. Scientists believe that due to the gases we are releasing in the atmosphere through industries and agriculture, the layer in greenhouse gases is getting thicker. This thick layer is absorbing more energy. This is raising the temperature of the Earth. This is commonly called global warming or climate change.