Many religions and cultures exist in India. Every festival has a different significance here. The Malayali festival of Kerala province, symbol of Sarvadharma Sambhav, has started on 22 August. This festival will last for 10 days. The name of this festival is Onam. This festival gives the message of harmony, love and brotherhood in society. From ancient times, it is believed that on the day of Onam, King Bali used to visit his subjects. He got this good fortune from Vishnu. The recognition of this festival is very much in Karel. Let’s know the people’s belief about Onam and why this festival is special.
Recognition of Onam: The king of Kerala is believed to have been King Bali. His subjects were very happy and prosperous. He had no problem of any kind. King Bali was Mahadani. All three people were in his possession. During this time Lord Vishnu came. He brought the avatar of Vamana. He had demanded land from King Bali in three steps. In three steps, he had taken his kingdom from Raj Bali. Also saved them. It is believed that every year Raja Bali comes to meet and see his subjects and on this occasion, the festival of Onam is celebrated. On this day, King Bali is welcomed.
Why Onam festival is special:
- On this day people decorate their homes and cook different kinds of food. All this is offered to King Bali.
- Onam is celebrated not only in the joy of the arrival of King Bali but also in the joy of new harvest.
- Rangoli is made in front of every house on this day. As well as lamps are also lit.
- On this day Kheer is made by mixing rice, jaggery and coconut milk.
- Many types of vegetables, sambar etc. are also made on this day.
- The people of Malayali society embrace each other and wish them well.