This year Basant Panchami or Sri Panchami will be celebrated on 16 February. The importance of this festival is very much in Hinduism. Saraswati Maa is worshiped on Basant Panchami. She is called the goddess of learning. They are also known as Shri Panchami and Saraswati Puja. This puja is celebrated with great enthusiasm in eastern India, northwest Bangladesh, Nepal and many places. Wearing yellow clothes is auspicious on this day. Goddess Saraswati is worshiped on this day.
Why is Vasant Panchami celebrated?
Vasant Panchami is considered to be an auspicious day for children to write their first words. People dress up in yellow attires while students keep their study material and artistic instruments in front of the deity.
Some of the items required for Vasant Panchami puja are mango leaves, incense sticks, akshata or rice, ashtagandha or scented orange powder, chandan, lamps, ghee, jaggery, Haldi, Ganga water and fruits. During the puja, one recites the Saraswati mantra and slokas, after which, the prasad is distributed among family members and friends.
Saraswati puja dress colour – Yellow
Let’s know the auspicious time and importance of Basant Panchami.
Vasant Panchami date and time:
Vasant Panchami 2021 date – Tuesday, February 16, 2021
Vasant Panchami 2021 Muhurat – 06:59 to 12:35
Duration – 05 hours 37 minutes
Basant Panchami Midday Moment- 12:35
Vasant Panchami 2021 time
Start – February 16, 2021 at 03:36 pm
Finished – February 17, 2021 at 05:46
Saraswati Puja Vidhi and steps of worship
Here are giving details of Puja Vidhi which can be performed during Saraswati Puja including Vasant Panchami.
Puja should begin with the meditation of Bhagawati Saraswati. Dhyana should be done in front of Book symbolically representing Goddess Saraswati. Following Mantra should be chanted while meditating on Bhagawati Saraswati-
Ya Kundendu-Tushara-Hara-Dhavala, Ya Shubhra-Vastravrita,
Ya Vina-Vara-Danda-Mandita-Kara, Ya Shveta-Padmasana॥
Ya Brahmachyuta-Shankara-Prabhritirdevaih Sada Vandita,
Sa Mam Patu Saraswati Bhagawati Nihshesha-Jadyapaha॥
After Dhyanam of Bhagwati Saraswati, invoke Her with following Mantra. While calling Bhagwati Saraswati your hands should be in Avahan Mudra is formed by joining both palms and folding both thumbs inwards)-
Agachchha Deva-Deveshi! Tejomayi Saraswati!
Kriyamanam Maya Pujam, Grihana Sura-Vandite!
॥Shri Saraswati-Devim Avahayami॥
Pushpanjali 1st Step
Once Bhagwati Saraswati has come after invoking, take five flowers in Anjali (by joining palm of both hands) and leave them in front or near Bppk to offer the seat to Bhagwati Saraswati while chanting following Mantra-
Asanam Deva-Deveshi! Prityartham Prati-Grihyatam॥
॥Shri Saraswati-Devyai Asnarthe Pancha-Pushpani Samarpayami॥
Pushpanjali 2nd Step
After this perform Bhagwati Saraswati Puja with Chandan, Akshata, Pushpa, Dhoop, Deep and Naivedhya while chanting following Mantras-
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Padayoh Padyam Samarpayami।
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Shirasi Arghyam Samarpayami।
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Gandhakshatam Samarpayami।
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Pushpam Samarpayami।
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Dhupam Ghrapayami।
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Dipam Darshayami।
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Naivedyam Samarpayami।
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Achamaniyam Samarpayami।
Om Shri Saraswati-Devyai Namah Tambulam Samarpayami।
Pushpanjali 3rd Step
After doing Pujan as described above, take Gandha, Akshata and Pushpa in left hand and leave them over or near Book with right hand while chanting following Mantra-
Om Shri Saraswatyai Namah। Anena Pujanena Shri Saraswati Devi Priyatam। Namo Namah।
Significance of Vasant Panchami:
According to Hindu Panchang, Basant Panchami is celebrated on Panchami of Shukla Paksha of Magh month. It is believed that on this day Brahmaji, the creator of the universe, created Saraswati. Maa Saraswati is the one who gives us wisdom. Basant Panchami is also when the Spring season begins in India and the mustard flowers bloom. It is the colour yellow which is associated with the festival, and entire fields of mustard flowers resemble beds of yellow flowers when in full bloom. People wear yellow coloured clothes and also eat food that has the colour yellow in it (like khichdi). Goddess Saraswati’s idols are covered in yellow sarees as it is believed that it is one of her favourite colours.
Facts of Vasant Panchami:
The religious significance of this date is very high. It is believed that Mother Saraswati appeared on this day. Goddess Saraswati, the goddess of learning, is worshiped on this day. According to the scriptures, it is very important to take special care of some things on Vasant Panchami. So let’s know these things.
1. As we all know Vasant Panchami is the day of Saraswati, the goddess of learning. In such a situation, one should not eat food without bathing on this day. Fasting of Goddess Saraswati should be done on this day.
2. Yellow color is very important on this day. It is considered very auspicious. This color is also very dear to Maa Saraswati. People normally dress up in yellow coloured clothes on this day. Yellow colour represents energy, knowledge and enlightenment.
3. Any auspicious work can be done on this day. If someone’s marriage auspiciousness is not coming out then they can get married on Vasant Panchami.
4. It is said that tree plants should not be pruned on this day. Because on this day, the beautiful and new atmosphere of spring falls in nature.
5. Do not bring any bad thoughts in your mind on this day. Goddess Saraswati should be meditated on this day, from which she gets her blessings.
6. It is said and it is also true that without knowledge a person’s life becomes bleak. Mother Saraswati is worshiped on this day. In such a situation, meat and liquor should not be consumed on this day.
7. In some parts of the country, people celebrate it flying kites. This might not be known to many people.
8. Saraswati Puja is also known as Bengali’s Valentine’s Day (Bengali Valentine’s Day). So, it is also the day when people celebrate love. People also believe that it is the most auspicious day to be married