Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
The birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is celebrated on 31 October. Sardar Vallabh bhai merged 565 princely states and made India a nation. This is the reason that National Unity Day is celebrated on the occasion of Vallabhbhai Patel’s birth anniversary. National Integration Day was celebrated for the first time in 2014. Explain that the map of India was drawn under British rule, 40 percent of its land was with these princely states. After independence, these princely states were given the option to merge with India or Pakistan or to remain independent. Sardar Vallabhbhai had merged these princely states into India with his foresight, cleverness and diplomacy.
Know, 10 things about Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Sardar Patel was born on 31 October 1875 in Nadiad, Gujarat. Sardar Patel attended primary school in Karamsad and high school in Petlad, but he acquired most of the knowledge by studying himself.
- Vallabh bhai was about 17 years old when he was married to Jhaverba, a resident of Gana village.
- Patel started his legal practice as a lawyer in Godhra. He achieved rapid success as a lawyer and soon became a prominent lawyer taking criminal cases.
- Indicating Patel’s choice to lead the Kheda Satyagraha, Gandhiji said, “Many people were ready to follow me, but I could not make up my mind as to who should be my deputy commander.” Then I thought about Vallabh bhai. ”
- In the year 1928, Bardoli Satyagraha was held in Gujarat which was led by Vallabhbhai Patel. This was the main peasant movement. At that time, the provincial government was charging heavy revenue from the farmers. The government had increased the rent by 30 percent. Due to which the farmers were very upset. Vallabhbhai Patel strongly opposed the government’s arbitrariness. The government took many drastic steps in an attempt to crush this movement. But in the end, the government had to bow to Patel and fulfill the demands of the farmers. The rent was reduced from 30 per cent to 6 per cent after the investigation of two officials. After the success of Bardoli Satyagraha, the women there gave Vallabhbhai Patel the title of ‘Sardar’.
- In 1931 Patel was elected the president of the Karachi session of the Congress. At a time when the country was angry at the hanging of Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru, Patel gave a speech that reflected the sentiment of the people.
- Patel had slowly prepared all the states to merge with India, but Nizam Osman Ali Khan Asif of Hyderabad decided to remain independent. The Nizam decided that he would join neither India nor Pakistan. Sardar Patel conducted Operation Polo to chase down the Nizam of Hyderabad. Operation Polo was a covert operation in the year 1948. Nizam Usman Ali Khan Asif was overthrown by this operation and Hyderabad was made a part of India.
- Patel became the first Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister after the independence of the country.
- On the death of Sardar Patel, Pandit Nehru had said, ‘Sardar’s life is a great saga with which we are all familiar and the whole country knows this. History will record it in many pages and call them nation-makers. History will call him the unifier of new India. Much more will be said about them. But for many of us, he will be remembered as a great general of our army in the fight for freedom. A person who gave us sincere advice both in difficult times and in moments of victory.
- Sardar Patel ji died on December 15, 1950 in Mumbai, Maharashtra. In 1991, Sardar Patel was posthumously awarded the ‘Bharat Ratna’.